Blog #1

I read and examined the two articles “Toolbox to Promote Healthy LGBT Youth” and ” Students exploring gender identity.” I was able to find resources for school-wide protective policies and the way schools are there for those who may have recently come out. They are creating a safe space for all students. This includes providing sexual health education and including lesson plans around this topic. In the other article, I learned what gender identity truly means: an individual sense of their gender despite what other people might say. So, how does gender diversity impact the school experience? The article showed that, on average gender diverse individuals were 15 years old before they had the vocabulary to understand and communicate their gender identity; this exposes the way teachers teach their classes today.

As mentioned in the Anti-Racism module, providing students with books about races can do the same for gender diversity in the classroom. Books help readers learn and grow to learn as they become older.

References:

Gender-neutral restrooms best for transgender students (opinion). Education Week. (2023, August 7). https://www.edweek.org/leadership/opinion-gender-neutral-restrooms-best-for-transgender-students/2014/04